Home > Family > Kabir’s First Day at the Day Care

Kabir’s First Day at the Day Care

March 18, 2011
Kabir is now 9 months and nine days old. Nine seems to be THE number. Coincidently, I shaved after nine days. Why? Read here.
He is now a bundle of limitless energy, demanding the same from Guriya and I. We cannot be happier seeing him grow, each day is an opportunity to teach him something good. But, the coming days are getting busier with Guriya starting her new gig @ The Childrens National Medical Center @ D.C. in a week.
Moreover, we have always believed that a good day care will help his growth and development as a good and social baby. Having looked at, visited and inspected a few facilities, we decided upon the child care center @ Dock Woods. (Read more about why we decided upon SLMCC here) Guriya had visited this child care center with Kabir yesterday to complete the paperwork and to help Kabir familiarize himself with the place and people. Of course, we feel that he is the most handsome baby in his class!
The day got off to a frantic start…pretty much the least desired start to this special day. Guriya and I have only ourselves to blame, but we affix it on Kabir for lately he starts sleeping in his crib, but mysteriously (wink wink) ends-up in our bed by around 3:00am, and sleeps-in late…until one of us wakes him up! He is our cutest alarm clock ever, but his alarm needs to be reset!
We went to sleep with the plan being to wake-up at 6:00am; I would change Kabir’s diaper and play with him; Guriya would take a shower and get dressed; 7:00am, Kabir and I would drop Guriya off at the Lansdale train station (Guriya had to go to D.C. to finish paperwork for the new job and catch the 8:35am Amtrak train from 30th Street train station, to be on time for her appointment); Come back home and feed Kabir his breakfast; 8:15am, take Kabir to the child care center and spend some time with him there; 9:00am, back home to get on an office call)
The wake-up plan misfires, for we don’t hear the 6:00am buzzer alarm. Don’t know how or why? Well, we know the answer 😉 It is 7:24am when we wake-up. And, all three of us are in the car at 7:40am, driving to the Lansdale train station, hoping we can make it there in time for Guriya to board the 7:46 train. We soon realize how impractical the plan is and decide on driving Guriya down to the 30th Street train station in peak-hour traffic. Anyway, we make it there in just the nick of time. Guriya dashes through the station doors at 8:34am, and Kabir and I start our drive back home. I am now resigned to missing my office call for Kabir has to be dressed, fed breakfast and taken to the day care. We reach home at 9:15am. I check his diaper and quickly feed him a couple of his favorite Pozuelo Maria biscuits from Costa Rica and a serving of Gerber’s Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal mix. He does not get his usual breakfast of a full bowl of cereal because it is too late for that and we need to get him to the day care in time for the photo session. A photographer was coming that day to take pictures of all the babies at the day care. It would be a great start to Kabir’s time at the day care. I try to change his t-shirt and realize that the one Guriya had put out the night before is not fitting him anymore. I scramble to find an alternative that Guriya would approve of. Kabir looks handsome in anything…in fact, I think he looks the guapoest in just his diaper. We head out at 9:35am and get to the day care at 9:45am I enter the room and find it empty. The teacher from the toddler class tells me that all the infants are getting their pictures done and that she would walk us there. We step out the door and see that everybody is returning to the class. We have missed the photo session. 😦
I am disappointed…more so for the photographer…for where would he find such a handsome subject! 🙂 Guriya has promised me a Picture People photo session to make me feel better!
Well, we settle down and I give Kabir a few toys to play with and stay with him for a while. He is enjoying himself when I quietly slip out of the room. By the time I get home, it is almost 11am.
Guriya, in the meantime, is in the taxi to get to the medical center, and calls the day care to check on Kabir. She hears him cry in the background and is sad/upset. I am sad too. I call again after 45 mins, and am told that Kabir has quieted down and it now sitting, sucking his thumb…sulking. But, he drank his bottle of formula (5oz). Mera bachcha, my heart cries out.
My 12:30pm mtg gets cancelled and I decide to make a quick run to the day care to see how Kabir is doing. Upon reaching there, I find that all the infants are sleeping. The teacher tells me that Kabir was a little sad, and ate only a few spoonfuls of his lunch, before sleeping in his crib with very little fuss. I don’t see him, but return feeling a little better.
I finish my meetings and the day’s work by 3:30pm and am back at the day care by 3:45pm to pick-up Kabir. A nervous knot in my stomach, I enter the room and hear Kabir’s voice….not crying, just my happy Kabir. I feel relieved, but quickly feel strange that he is OK. I had expected an upset Kabir, wanting nothing but to be in the arms of his papa and mummy. I underestimated how resilient he is (and, I guess all babies are). However, he does not disappoint me, for when he sees me, his happy sounds turn into squeals of joy (Zoo-Ave style). Holding up his arms towards me, he is smiling…giggling. I am almost in tears…of joy, of course. I pick him up and hug him and kiss him. I felt him hugging me too…or, was it my mind playing games with me. I can only imagine what was going through his mind. I am glad to learn that upon waking-up, he had finished his remaining lunch and dessert and also his second bottle of formula (5oz). He has a bowel movement and I change him before coming back home.
The weather is just awesome…almost 75 degrees outside. I give him another Maria biscuit and a few rice puffs, and take a few photos to send to family, before taking a walk in the stroller. The weather is gorgeous and Kabir is enjoying it immensely. He is sitting upright and just taking it all in. Guriya is now in the home-bound train. I take a few more photos and after an hour’s stroll, we are on our way to pick-up Guriya at the train station. During the 9 minute ride to the train station, Kabir dozes off, prolonging his reunion with his mummy. We head to Target, wanting to reward Kabir with a late evening outside the house. Guriya cannot wait for Kabir to wake-up, and I can sense that. We are cruising the aisles, when Kabir wakes-up, notices us, smiles and extends his arms up toward Guriya. He is smart enough to realize that it is now mummy’s turn to get (and give him) a hug and a kiss. Pure love. I am delighted to see both of them smiling and truly happy. And, having lived that moment only a couple of hours ago, I can truly relate to what Guriya must have felt.
We feed him his mixed vegetable dinner at Target and top-off with a couple of Maria biscuits and banana rice puffs. It is almost 8:45pm, but he is HAPPY – yes, capital letters HAPPY! As if, he is making-up for the lost time with us during the day. On a regular day, he would be sleepy or cranky or both by 9:00pm. Upon returning home, Guriya changes him and I prepare his bottle. Guriya feeds him the bottle and lulls him to sleep. Finally, we have our time – the YOU time from the EASY routine (Eat-Activity-Sleep-You) we are following. We end the day rewarding ourselves with a movie night. We watch the hugely entertaining Band Baaja Baaraat. Ainvayi Anvayi…

Guriya and I went through a range of emotions on this day. A mixture of sadness and excitement at leaving Kabir alone in the company of people yet to be familiar, but happy at the prospect of him expanding his social circle and learning new things in the company of people his age. Guilt at having to leave him without a proper hug & kiss farewell. Peace at knowing he was sleeping, but guilty again that he did not eat his lunch well, probably because unlike at the day care, we humor him and let him take his time. Nervous anticipation, as I enter the room at the end of the day. Jubilation at seeing him smile and giggle and extend his arms up towards us when he saw us.

Another challenge awaits on Monday – Kabir’s second day at the day care. We are fervently praying that all goes well.

Categories: Family
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: